Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may be detrimental to health. The characteristic factor is the deposit of fat in a sustainable and progressive manner.
- OPERATING ROOM: 1-4 hours of operating theater
- ANESTHESIA: Local + sedation, General
- SURGERY: Ambulatory surgery or 1-3 days of admission
The body mass index (BMI) is a simple indicator of the relationship between weight and height that is used to identify overweight and obesity in adults. It is calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilos by the square of your height in meters (kg/m2).
- A BMI equal to or greater than 25 determines overweight.
- A BMI equal to or greater than 30 determines obesity.
However, it should be considered as an indication that it may not match the same level of thickness in different people.
The causes are multifactorial and influence by genetic, family and social, cultural, socioeconomic status and psychological environment factors. Sometimes other serious diseases are added such as:
- Coronary and heart diseases
- Sleep apnea
In addition, the other purely physical consequences are also psychological. Negative attitudes lead to characterize them as clumsy, abandoned and unwillingness. The obese patient has a social stress, which attacks him with a stigma sometimes intolerable, that produces psychological and anxiety disorders.
No existe un único tratamiento médico o quirúrgico eficaz de la obesidad.
There is no single effective medical or surgical treatment for obesity. Clinica Sanza professionals have developed a combined protocol to treat this very common condition today:
- Bariatric surgery
- Body contouring surgery
In Clinica Sanza we have developed a very healthy food protocol, which does not have any vitamin deficiencies or minerals, and protein. It is based on a diet low in fat and low in carbohydrates or sugars, antioxidant and very balanced. Provides nutrients and energy in amounts that maintain body functions in a context of physical health and well mentally.
The educational pillar of this diet is that is not about going hungry, no quantities are measured, you can eat a lot and there are only minor restrictions. Because if hungry, you will continue biting, you will have anxiety and this will not let you lose weight. Upside down with a good meal, satisfying and nutritious you will reach your health goals and body contouring. With our diet will be possible to lose up to 4-5 kg per month.
At Clínica Sanza we use a new system of male body contouring, which allows the removal of fat deposits resistant to diet, sports and other aesthetic medicine treatments. It is an innovative treatment that, through cannulas and laser allows us to selectively dissolve and remove fat without damaging adjacent structures. The aim is to achieve a well-defined body contour, eliminating definitively the “michelines” or unwanted fat.
Our technique is fast, safe, painless and very natural result. With a megaliposuction it may be achieved a decrease of 3-5 sizes in one or two months.
If none of the above two treatments work, a solution may be bariatric surgery.
Bariatric surgery is to reduce the size of the stomach, associated or not to a procedure that prevents the absorption of fat. These procedures and surgeries are:
- Intragastric balloon: A soft, expandable silicone balloon is introduced into the stomach through the mouth without surgery and under sedation.
- Adjustable Band: This involves the implementation of a band around the upper stomach hindering the passage of food to start its digestion.
- Tubular or vertical gastrectomy: involves resection of 80% of the stomach leaving just 20%, which is enough for normal digestion functions and food store.
- Gastric Bypass: The procedure involves dividing the stomach to create a small pouch that accommodates less food and then shaping a portion of the small intestine into a “Y”. The “Y” portion of intestine is then connected to the stomach pouch so that when food is digested it goes directly to the bottom of the small intestine, bypassing the first part (the duodenum) and the first part of the second section of the small intestine (jejunum). The effect of bypassing these organs is to restrict the amount of calories and nutrients the body absorbs.
Biliopancreatic Derivation (BPD): In this procedure a large portion of the lower stomach is removed or excluded. The small part of stomach that is left is connected directly to the last part of the small intestine (ileum). As the food is digested, bypassing the duodenum and the jejunum.
The body contouring surgery includes different procedures to achieve the desired body morphology, after a quick weight loss.
The skin and tissue elasticity are such that can be molded according to changes in body size. If a lack of retraction or elasticity occurs, the new silhouette will take: sagging arms, hung and deflated chest, flabby abdomen (apron shaped), buttocks, pubis and thighs that are hanging bags of skin.
Besides this surgery can improve the appearance of uneven skin sag known as cellulite.
To plan your intervention Clinica Sanza professionals assess your medical condition, and previous surgeries. And perform a physical examination to determine body mass index, shape, quantity and quality of the skin in problem areas. They will discuss the ideal surgical options for you.
- Anesthesia will be provided to the entity surgery (local, sedation, epidural or general anesthesia) with duration of about 1-3 hours.
- All body-contouring procedures require incisions to remove the tissue excess. The length and pattern of incisions depend on your case and the amount and location of tissue excess as well as your preference.
- Advanced techniques as the ones we use position scars at strategic locations to make them less visible or are hidden by clothing.
- For arms reaffirmation an incision is made from the elbow to the armpit or just an axillary incision is used.
- For the treatment of abdomen, buttocks, waist, hips and outer thighs the incision will be unique and will be at waist level.
- For only the thighs an incision located in the groin area is used.
- After surgery the patient will have the desired body contour.
- The scars will become almost invisible over time.
The result of body contouring surgery is visible immediately, but may take a few months to see the final result. The scars diminish as time goes.
The improvement with these medical and surgical treatments remains as the time goes by and you will be very satisfied with the result.
Esta entrada también está disponible en: Spanish